Thursday, September 1, 2011

Second Hiccup

My daughter says she doesn't like Math. :(

We got RightStart Mathematics Level A for her. I thought something very manipulative heavy would be good for my active, intense daughter. RightStart wants the child to try and visualize things and do numbers in your head. They start off very slowly, but she gets so frustrated when I ask her to "imagine" it. I was stumped.

Then I was discussing both problems with my mother (a former homeschool mom) and I had a mini ephinay. Problem #1 (going too quickly through handwriting) answers problem #2! Claire loves worksheets! RightStart has no worksheets ... hmm. So as an experiment I picked up a $3 Math Workbook from Walmart on Tuesday. It's a Math Readiness book geared for Kindergarten and 1st grade. She loves it.

Now my problem - I spent a good amount of money on her math curriculum and I can't return it now. So I guess I'm going to have to do a modified version of RightStart with worksheets mixed in. It's going to be more work for me because I can't follow the easy, set out in front of you lesson plan that RightStart gives, but I want my daughter to enjoy math and I will do everything in my power to help her. Now I just need to figure out next year ... has anyone used Horizons Math? Did you like it? Any suggestions?

No comments:

Post a Comment