Monday, April 11, 2011

Well, I guess that's a start ...

As most of you know I am homeschooling our children. Well, until now I just called it "being a mom". But it's time to get serious! Anyway, with our tax refund I started getting The Girl's homeschool curriculum and she was so excited when she saw it that she wanted to "do school" right away. I couldn't exactly say, "No. You can't. You have to wait 4 more months." So today we sat down after I spent last week hurriedly reading the teacher's guides and making a lesson plan. I decided to start slowly and this was my plan for today:

Bible: "God Creates Light and Land" from "Every Day with God"

Phonics: "The Vowel A" from "The Ordinary Parent's Guide to Teaching Reading"

Writing: Teach her the names of the fingers and teach her how to correctly hold a pencil. Demonstrate how to write her name and see if she can copy it. Page 6 from "Handwriting Without Tears"

Read Aloud: Read her the first chapter from "Matilda" by Roald Dahl

Well, we did some of that! The Bible and the Phonics went well and we ended up writing the letter A on the slates. See her good job?



But after going over the names of our fingers (she loved the song "Where is Thumpkin?") she refused to try to write her name. She just wanted to keep doing the letter A. We did do the page in "Handwriting without Tears" - actually two! And she wanted to keep going ... but I wanted to sit down and read to her and her brother who was getting a little antsy. She didn't want me to read "Matilda" at all and we ended up reading "The Pied Piper of Hamlin" from a book of fairy tales I have. Well, I guess we'll work on it. But it wasn't a bad start!

1 comment:

  1. Absolutely wonderful.We must print this out and make a fantastic book.GREAT job, Jocelyn!!

    ReplyDelete